What causes snoring?
Snoring occurs when floppy tissue in the airway relaxes and vibrates during sleep. Forty-five percent of normal adults snore at least occasionally, and 25 percent are habitual snorers. Problem snoring is more frequent in males and overweight persons, and it usually grows worse with age.
What can you do to help “light” snoring?”
Adults who suffer from mild or occasional snoring should try the following self-help remedies:
- Adopt a healthy and athletic lifestyle to develop good muscle tone and lose weight.
- Avoid tranquilizers, sleeping pills, and antihistamines before bedtime.
- Avoid alcohol for at least four hours and heavy meals or snacks for three hours before bedtime.
- Establish regular sleep patterns
- Sleep on your side rather than your back
- Tilt the head of your bed upwards four inches